Monday, April 7, 2014

Final #4: High Resolution Avatar

We are using a program called MakeHuman. I like it a lot, the only problem is that there are not too many options for full customization. For instance, you cannot use your actual face, which based on the description our professor originally gave, I thought there would be a way to overlay a photo of ones face and maybe map out the points such as eyes and nose under the mesh of the photo, therefor creating a '3D' version of ones face.


There also were very few clothing options which was very disappointing. Although this actually looks like one of my friday night outfits to go to MA's!

There were only five hair options also, and I think one was a female long hair, one was an afro, and one was bald, so I really only had two male options and this was the closest. Also I could only choose between black and blonde. That's silly because there are people in the world who have a different hair color (such as brown!!) and they cannot make a realistic avatar of themselves!

I also made a female. She looks weird in this picture because of the angle I had to move the 'camera' to so that her genitals wouldn't show! It was very strange how it wouldn't put the clothes over her 'baby making part' and it kept putting it OVER the clothes! Finally I had to put the overalls on her and even then, you can see some glitches. Again, NOT a lot of clothing options, which was sad.

Here is me trying to bone the chick. (Get your head out of the gutter! "Boning" is using the bones as pivot points to animate the character or to put them into poses!) It wouldn't let me move any of the bones or body parts, which is whack because it was under the tab 'Pose/Animate' !

So I was going to try to send my feedback to the developers, because they have a great product here, it just needs some tweaking. But then it got too complicated and I don't have a username or anything so I gave up for now!

This is the avatar design software MakeHuman. It is a final exercise from the Immersive Education course that I am taking at Boston College. The course is called Discovering Computer Graphics. For details, visit the immersive BC portal at http://ImmersiveEducation.org/@/bc

No comments:

Post a Comment