Thursday, May 1, 2014

Examining Gender, Race and Body Image in a Virtual World

 So for the final class tonight, we are doing an experiment with our avatars! We are going back to Second Life and changing it a few times in accordance to GENDER, RACE and PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES/BODY IMAGE. I predict that people will treat me kindly and flirtatiously if I am a hot blonde Barbie looking chick, but if I am a regular dude, no one will notice. I first heard of Second Life when a friend told me how it was full of weird, creepy, single men who prey on young females as much as possible. Let's get started!
This was weird because my computer (My Dad's actually!) was fritzing out when I tried to expand the browser window. So I just stretched it out instead of 'expanding' it. 
I found an avatar that was the same as mine without the white coat. I called her out for copying me, but got no response, so said "yes you!" but she didn't respond to that either! NayrKcoh was being weird too haha!
Since no one was answering me I decided to take a bit of a risk and go to an 'Adult' world! There were naked people everywhere! (Don't worry not in my screenshots!) It was a BDSM world I think, and this guy's name was "Female Supremacist" but he was a male!! And he was on his knees!

That guy finally got back to me and kept calling me 'Goddess' LOL! Then this guy named 'voxfini' I talked to. And also this TwistedAngel person asked me stuff! That was funny.

So I messed around with TwistedAngel1995 a little bit before moving on to try to nudge someone named Gabriela or something and nudge her into the fire pit! It didn't work though, she eventually would move away but not chat! Haha! I then tried pushing around PurplePanda and talking to her also.

I got a tip from Jamie in the class, to go check out this place called BAD 80's and 90's Music. So I invited the voxfini guy that was flirting with me I think haha, after we exchanged where we were from. He is from the UK he said, England.

When we got to the world, he was 'sleeping' LOL and asked me how to get up. I also flirted with this chick who's thumbnail pic from what I could see looked cute ;)

Then I changed my avatar to the fox head! And in an 1800's wheelchair! And wrapped in fat bandages.

This was funny because he started flirting with me more trying to help me with getting my feet back, and he called my lady doctor a nurse! LOL I started putting the 'Male Action Hero' clothes on my fox.

I got some hands! Blue dinosaur hands I think lol! And the vinifox guy kept flirting with me and calling me 'hun!' I wanted to call him son or something that would've freaked him out but he left already. Pretty interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment