Wednesday, May 14, 2014

FINAL PROJECT: BUILDING MY IMMERSIVE LIBRARIES/MUSEUM

So new font!
I am making my new library here! And although Prof. Walsh said people don't want to be in buildings, I like to stick to tradition, and traditionally 'Libraries' and 'Museums' are indoors! So I found this nifty layer called 'Campus Party 2013' and that's what I am using. Weird name, because I would expect a dorm room or a frat house for a campus party but maybe this is the kind of campus parties they have in Finland!

It said to put in 3d objects that would make the place look neat and unique. But the only items you can add in are blocks, spheres, donut shapes and that's really it. So I cannot but in a 3D tree or a car or something cool like that. The only thing I can add is a monkey head! (How random! Meshmoon really needs to step it's game up and let you import objects from the outside.)

Monkey (do you) see, Monkey (I) do!

And it said to not but 2D items in, but this is technically not 2D, as it is a rectangle that is raised up to be like a slab. And I wanted to add some character and cuteness to the library, so I made a welcome mat!



Here is another image of my slabs that have the Google Chrome icon in the middle, but when you get up close, it renders into the webpage you can set it to display! For our Libraries, we are putting in PDFs, HTML webpages of articles and Youtube video links all about Immersive Education. I focused most of mine on the healthcare field since I found that the most applicable and interesting!

If these were to all render... visual and audio overload!
It was weird because I had my Facebook browser up behind (or maybe minimized) the Rocket app window, and it glitched up my tablet of info on a webpage article and meshed (pun intended!) them together!


I am happy with my library and I think it looks good. This screenshot below is from me getting the hang of it and uploading the articles to the flat cubes after the Facebook glitch was fixed.


I had seen Jamie's Library and liked it a lot, so I used her layer at first and then was going to delete her items and put mine up instead. You see I didn't realize that hers was Campus Party '13 also. So in this SS you can see I have the default layer they gave me (How'd they know to title it that? Wow!) and her layer also. This was causing glitching. I didn't want to delete my layer, but read in the troubleshooting notes for the class that you might need to delete the layer. I took a SS to show the API # and etc., like document that I was doing so. 
You see, my avatar would spawn a couple (like 30 or so actually) yards to the bottom right of the world and would just fall into the blue/gray sky. I tried moving the coordinates of the layer to no avail. So I thought maybe deleting the default layer would fix this but it didn't. I couldn't find a way to fix this so instead I tried the Campus Party layer and it worked so just built everything for my library from scratch!



This is my earliest of processes for building an immersive library/museum in the virtual world of Meshmoon. It is a final exercise from the Immersive Education course that I am taking at Boston College. The course is called Discovering Computer Graphics. For details, visit the immersive BC portal at http://ImmersiveEducation.org/@/bc



No comments:

Post a Comment